Young Voices of New York

Filed under Articles, New York City

Alexander Hamilton in New York

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

I was lucky enough to see Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton and ever since then, I have been in an Alexander Hamilton phase. I visited three of the Hamilton locations in NYC.

The first was Hamilton Grange. The original Grange was Hamilton’s ancestral family home in Scotland. When Harlem was still forests and farmland, Hamilton bought some land and built a weekend house for him, his wife Eliza (neé Schuyler) and their children. It is located on 141st street in Manhattan.

The basement has been turned into a museum, but the top floors have been preserved to look like they did when the Hamiltons lived there.

The second site was Trinity Church. Alexander and Eliza Hamilton, as well as their son Philip, Eliza’s sister Angelica Schuyler Church and lastly Hamilton’s friend Hercules Mulligan are all buried in the cemetery of the church.

An obelisk, one of the five in Manhattan, marks Hamilton’s grave. This was my favorite location I have visited. The people who work there are very informed about the Hamiltons. It is right near the Wall Street 6 train stop.

The last location was the Museum of American Finance. In the Hamilton room, I learned about Hamilton’s impact on America. For instance, he founded the U.S. Coast Guard.

But, he did more for the economy than for the rest of the country, as the museum made clear. As an example to that, he founded the Mint and the U.S. Bank. After the war he created a plan to pay off war debt and unite the colonies.

The plan was to combine all the states debts’, then distribute them evenly. Not all the states approved of this plan though, especially not the states that had already paid off all their war debt.

Alexander Hamilton was essentially the New Yorker, in the sense of New York City, of all the Founding Fathers. (And mothers, Angelica and Eliza would remind us)

While the others were in Virginia or Philadelphia, or Boston, Hamilton remained in New York City. This is probably why there is so much Hamilton in NYC.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Lily Zufall, Contributor

Lily Zufall, Contributor, New York City

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Alexander Hamilton in New York”

1. Luke Lopez on January 3rd, 2017 8:59 am

WOW! I want to watch it sooooo bad!!!! Ever since I listened to the music of Hamilton for the first time I was in love!!! This is an amazing article. I’m going to go visit now!!

2. Chloe Antonia Rose on January 8th, 2017 7:29 pm

Congrats Lily! You have a great talent for writing! I am so proud of you for being mentioned in Mr. Peterson’s e-mail blast. Can’t wait to read your next piece. Keep up the great work!

-Signed, Chloe Rose

3. Cliff Cadet on January 9th, 2017 1:01 pm

Nice job on this article! I saw that Mr.Peterson mentioned you in his email. I love to sight see and learn about history! I’ve been to Hamilton’s grave and it was really nice. 10/10 I would go there again! 😀

4. Hannah Wallach on January 10th, 2017 9:29 am

I love site seeing. Maybe my family can visit the grave. This was a great article!!!!!!!

5. Madeleine Fryling on January 13th, 2017 1:40 pm

That sounds awesome! I have listened to the “Hamilton” track and fell in love! Now I want to go there immediately! GREAT JOB!

6. Simar Bedi on January 24th, 2017 9:14 am

I see you had a wonderful time there. It most have been amazing to see all of the Hamilton locations. Its a win win for you!

7. Aimee Quinlan on January 24th, 2017 1:08 pm

I want to see the show “Hamilton” SO BAD!!!! I love how much information you gave that I would never know about. Also, I liked how you included your own opinion on each of the three places you visited. Overall, really amazing job!

8. Lonnie Creech on March 16th, 2017 12:55 pm

I live in a town called Valley Stream that’s kind of close to Manhattan but I have never seen the Hamilton locations. When I went there I only stay in the lower numbered streets like 90th and sometimes lower. Good Job! 🙂

9. Joey Shipley on March 20th, 2017 9:28 am

Nice job Lily! I thought it was great putting up an article about what Alexander Hamilton did for the United States.

Navigate Left

Into the Nightfell Wood

• Alexander Hamilton in New York

Books

Zach King: The Magical Mix-up

• Alexander Hamilton in New York

Books

“R.L. Stine Presents Scream and Scream Again!”

• Alexander Hamilton in New York

Articles

My Girl Scout Adventures-Food Pantry

• Alexander Hamilton in New York

Entertainment

“Overboard”

Navigate Right
A news site for young people across New York State up to 14 years old.
Alexander Hamilton in New York