Young Voices of New York

Filed under Books, Long Island, Showcase

“Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Do you like mysteries? If you do, then this book is for you. As the second book in the series, “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral” by Ridley Pearson, this book is brimming with mysteries.

In the beginning of the book, James and his little sister, Moira, are at Baskerville Academy. Moria is in her bed and sees James meeting with two people outside with her binoculars.

Moria knows that ever since she and her brother had gone into the horrible school, Baskerville Academy, her brother had changed. James was paired with the mystery-solving Sherlock Holmes, who made him who he is now.

She had recently found out that her brother had joined a group of people called the Scowrers, just like his father. They didn’t want to go to Baskerville Academy, but they did since it has the Moriarty name. James’s grandfather or great grandfather had built it, so every Moriarty was expected to go there, especially the male heirs.

That Friday, James and Moira went to their Boston home with their driver, Ralph and their secretary, Lois. When Moria opens her wardrobe, she finds Sherlock.

Sherlock is there to solve the mystery in the drawer in father’s office. They find a gun half wrapped in an oily rag and an envelope. There is a riddle inside the envelope.

Moria, James, and Sherlock, all work together to try to solve the riddle. 

After that,  two visitors, Mr. Crudgeon, their principle, and Lowry, their father’s lawyer arrive at James and Moira’s house. They tell James that the city councilman has become a hassle to the Scowerers.

The two men also tell James to befriend Alexandria Carlisle, a sophomore, in order to gain entrance to the Carlisles’ home north of Boston, in Nahant. James is shocked but does it in order to be trusted by the Scoweres as a good leader.

Does James fail or succeed with the task? Do Moria, Sherlock, and James solve the riddle? Read the book to find out!

I would give this book 4.5 stars. I like how it is full of mysteries and adventures to solve them. The only thing I don’t like this book is that sometimes it can there are so many attempts to solve the riddle that it gets a bit boring, but rarely.

Andy Huang, Contributor

Andy Huang, Contributor, Long Island

2 Comments

2 Responses to ““Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral””

1. Michael Morcos on January 2nd, 2018 9:48 am

Great job on your review Andy! That is a great review since you give some details but you don’t spoil the story. Great job!

2. Vijay Singh on March 8th, 2018 12:54 pm

This sounds like a really good book because I love mystery. Based on the way you described this book, it must be very mysterious, which I love. Keep it up and write some more reviews, because I know I would love to read them!

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Books

“R.L. Stine Presents Scream and Scream Again!”

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Articles

My Girl Scout Adventures-Food Pantry

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Entertainment

“Overboard”

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Books

Ryan Quinn and the Lion’s Claw

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Articles

The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Egyptian Art Exhibit

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Articles

The Queens Zoo

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Entertainment

Wonder

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Books

The Trials of Apollo The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Blogs

Adventures in Hawaii

• “Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

Articles

Food Styling

A news site for young people across New York State up to 14 years old.
“Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”