Young Voices of New York

The Nutcracker Ballet

Last month, I went to see the Nutcracker ballet at the Hofstra University theater. The story is about a girl named Clara who received a Nutcracker doll at her parents’ Christmas party. Her pesky brother breaks the Nutcracker’s jaw and kicks it across the floor, so her uncle bandages it. Later, Clara falls asleep on a chair. While she sleeps, everything (including her doll) grows…or she shrinks!

There is a battle between the toy soldiers and the Nutcracker against the mice and the Mouse King, which ends in the Mouse King’s defeat. The Nutcracker is turned into a prince! Everyone is transported into a snowy scene, and a sleigh brings them to the Land of the Sweets, where they are welcomed by angels. The sweets and the Sugar Plum Fairy dance for them. There are sweets from all over the world! After all the dances, there is a grand finale, where all of the sweets come back and dance along with the Sugar Plum Fairy.

My sister and I loved the ballet. It inspired us to take ballet again! We were mesmerized by the beautiful performance, props, and the story itself. The costumes did not stand out as much as the props and the performance. My mom thought it was mediocre, but then again it was performed by a ballet students, not a professional company.

The Nutcracker is performed every Christmas, so, next year, I would recommend this ballet to children eight and over, as it is a little long, and the story may be hard to follow for younger ones. Both boys and girls alike will enjoy this delightful ballet. I give it four out of five stars! ****    

Zoë Weiner, Contributor

Zoë Weiner, Contributor, Long Island

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Nutcracker Ballet”

1. Vijay Singh on February 6th, 2019 9:35 am

The Nutcracker Ballet sounds very interesting based on the description of the story you gave. But why did the mice and toy soldiers fight? Also, I like how you said “everything around her grows, or she shrinks” Because it leaves suspense in the story. Interesting review!

2. Jia Ru Yang on February 6th, 2019 1:08 pm

I like the article you wrote. I heard the story of the Nutcracker before and it’s one of my favorite stories! I also like seeing people dance so this is perfect for me! Great job on your article!

3. Alicia Tritschler on February 6th, 2019 1:15 pm

Wow the Nutcracker sounds amazing! I’ve never seen it before but judging from your review, it sounds great.

You do not need to be a contributor to comment. However, you must be younger than 14 years of age and a registered user. To register, click here to download a Parental Permission/Registration form and submit.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

The Lost Rainforest: Mez’s Magic

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

Into the Nightfell Wood

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

Zach King: The Magical Mix-up

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

“R.L. Stine Presents Scream and Scream Again!”

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Articles

My Girl Scout Adventures-Food Pantry

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Entertainment

“Overboard”

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

Ryan Quinn and the Lion’s Claw

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Articles

The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Egyptian Art Exhibit

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Books

“Lock And Key- The Downward Spiral”

• The Nutcracker Ballet

Articles

The Queens Zoo

A news site for young people across New York State up to 14 years old.
The Nutcracker Ballet